Saturday, August 14, 2010

"Natlonal Take Your Cat To The Vet Week, August 16-22, 2010" And BLOG HOP

purr - my nightly belly rub by D after dinner.  
Hi friends, it's me - Mario - with some important information today.

Did you know dat this coming Monday begins "National Take your Cat to the Vet Week? Yup - It's August 16-22, 2010. Well, I didn't know it either, but when I was blog hopping yesterday, I saw it in my friend @CatChatCaren's Blog Post  http://opcatchat.blogspot.com/2010/08/feline-pine-partners-with-veterinarians.html.  Caren always writes an interesting, informative blog about cats - care, health, etc.   Some of dat same informaiton applies to doggies to, so doggies, don't be afraid to go over and look.  Her subject this time certainly applies to doggies too - we all need to have an annual check up! 

While I didn't know der was a national week set aside for it, I can tell you first hand dat it's very important for your oomans to take you to the veterinarian at least once a year for a check up. Dat means cats and doggies too. I know "veterinarian" is a disgusting word and we all hate going there, but you must get your oomans to take you. 

M and D have had 4 kitties and 1 doggie (so they tell me), and I'm #4 of the kitties. Now the first kitty dey had was when they were very young and didn't know much bout taking care of anipals. So they never bothered to take Pepper to the vet cuz he seemed healthy - until he started going potty on the bed. (If you know M, he he, she didn't like dat). Turns out Pepper had kidney stones and dey had to do surgery. Dat was M and D's first xperience with a vet. Dey soon found out dey were giving Pepper all the wrong kinds of food (table scraps and canned cat food with "high ash" content (whatever dat means). Dat's when dey learned the importance of checking with a vet as to recommend food. Pepper was placed on a special diet by the vet, and he did recover and lived to be 19 years old.

After Pepper, dey started taking each new anipal to the vet when they first brought the anipal home.  Dey wasnted to know if it was healthy and find out what kind of food to feed it.  

M tells me Misty's (kitty #3) kidney problem was discovered thru an annual check up. She got on special food right away and went on to live another 2 years from when dey discovered the kidney problems. Had M and D not started treating it right away, Misty would not have lived as long as she did


As most of you know, M took me right to the vet after she picked me up at the shelter. Dat's when she discovered my bad toothies and dat began my 6-month "toothie story" saga. You can see dat story under the tab at the top of my blog, if you haven't already read it.  I'm not going to hash dat over again now. But I can tell you dat if she hadn't discovered just how serious my problem was, I probably wouldn't be alive today - almost 2 years later. (he he - my gotcha day is October 15th and I'll have lived here 2 years.)  Vet said I looked good except for getting toothies cleaned.

So, friends, you MUST tell your oomans to take you to the vet once a year for a check up - even if you seem healthy. Misty seemed healthy and M didn't see any signs dat she had a problem. It was discovered by taking a routine blood test during the once-a-year vet visit. We kitties are very good at hiding how we feel. So you never know what is going on inside of us!

Now please go take a look at @CatChatCaren's blog and follow it too cuz she's always looking out after us kitties with very interesting and newsy articles (most articles apply to doggies too). http://opcatchat.blogspot.com/2010/08/feline-pine-partners-with-veterinarians.html.

ANIPALS - UNITE. We need to spread the word on the importance of a yearly exam by a "VET" so we stay healthy. Make sure your oomans get you in for a check-up once a year.   Or tell them to write a note on the calendar right now as a reminder to get you in when it is close to a year from your last visit.  Make dem either make the appointment today or get it on the calendar.


Now for the fun stuff.   Here's my blog hop information.



Dat's my message for the day friends.   Stay tuned...........

Oh, dat picture is  me on dad's lap after dinner getting my nightly belly rub.   It's pure heaven!!   He's the expert at belly rubs.

10 comments:

Cathy Keisha said...

Nice post. I wish there was a vet I trusted around here. Our cat that lived the longest never went to the vet except to be spayed and have some teeth pulled. Our others cats were badly misdiagnosed by the vet. We were told Autumn had a heart mummer when she was 2 yrs old. The vet heard her loud purring and thought it was a murmur. Luckily we knew a vet tech who set us straight. 13 years later, Autumn was told she had a gum infection when she actually had liver cancer, which spread all over her body b4 it was correctly diagnosed. Nicky got a clean bill of health and died one month later. A friend from DC brought a perfectly healthy cat to the vet for shots, was told Simba was perfectly healthy and he died later that same day. It's good to take your cats to the vet, but beware because most vets—like people doctors—are there to make $$ so they'll make up diseases and tests just to get more $$ out of you. CK is 5 this year and last year they wanted to do "senior" testing on her. Our cats who didn't go every year were healthier and they didn't have the stress of being rammed into a carrier for a 1/2 hour car ride. CK will have her checkup next month but, as always, it's buyer beware.—CK's Ma

Mariodacat said...

Good points cathy. We do have a good vet that we trust. So I guess we are fortunate here. Ran into a bad one in Madison many years ago but since living in this city, we have the same clinic for 30 years. A couple of the vets came and went from the clinic, and or original one retired, but we are fortunate to have one we trust that took over for him.

The Island Cats said...

Our mom makes sure we go to the vet at least once a year to make sure we are okay. We may not like going, but we unnerstand that it's important that we go.

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

A very good message my friend, and you have some of the best parents (next to ours).

Busy Buttons said...

Mom loves our vet. She says that the vet took good care of my sis Lexi. Me? Not so sure I like that place. Too much poking and prodding for me! I suppose it's a good idea to take your kitties to the vet, though...just not doggies... *evil snickers*

Busy Buttons said...

Oh -- forgot to tell you... I've lived with Mom for not even 9 months, and she's already had me at our vet THREE times. She's an overprotective Mom. :)

Pumpkinpuddy said...

I don't like going to the v-e-t. I especially hate the "Alien Butt Probe" (can't remember which pal I got that from). But I know it's important and I know mom will take me every year.

We have a very nice v-e-t. Everyone there thinks I'm cute and makes a big fuss over me. The v-e-t has kitties of his own, so I know he loves kitties and will take good care of me.

Bear said...

Great post Mario. You dont have to tell my mom to take us to the vet. She overdoes everything. But I am happy she finally found a vet here that she really likes and trusts and is nearby! I havent been there yet, but I expect to go in the fall for my teeth cleaning.
And thanks for the blog hop!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Mario you are sooo sweet! Thanks so much for mentioning my blog and for the linky!! I always say you are such a gentleman, you go above and beyond! Smooches to you!

I read Cathy's comment and I have to say my heart goes out to her. How sad that she had (and knows people who had) such awful experiences.

I am blessed that I have a vet who I can trust and actually enabled my first cat Bobo to live an extra two years longer than he was supposed to.

There are good and bad vets just as there are good and bad doctors. It is just finding the right one. I am lucky that I have a good one but if I didn't have him I would just try and find another.

Medical care for our pets is just too important not to!

Love you Mario!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh- I sure hope my mom doesn't see this post. My brother Harley and I can't stand going to the doctor....( I know, for the good of us)...I still don't have to like going!

--Baxter the cat